Colombia Pedro OlarteRegular price $18.00
Cookie / Peach / Vanilla
Region El Ramal, El Tambo, Cauca
Farm El Porvenir
Cultivar Castillo, Caturra, Colombia
Elevation 2100 masl
This coffee is part of the Farm Select program with Banexport in Colombia, an initiative that aims to support producers with the tools they need to improve their coffee quality, gain access to better prices, and make lasting connections with committed specialty buyers. Through its Farm Select program standards and protocols, Banexport identifies producers who are willing to utilize advanced techniques and technology in order to produce a better cup; provides them with education and support toward that end; and, through a close and collaborative partnership with Cafe Imports, connects them with buyers who are interested in developing mutually beneficial, long-term and reliable buying relationships.
The Farm Select program has several specific elements, including:
- The use of Brix and pH meters for optimal harvesting and fermentation
- Farm soil analysis and fertilization guidance
- Sensory analysis training and support
- Fixed per-pound pricing for producers above both the C market price and the daily market price set by the FNC in Colombia
- Training and higher compensation for pickers on Farm Select farms ($600 pesos per kilo compared with the national standard $300 pesos)
Pedro Olarte owns a 12-hectare farm called El Porvenir, where he grows Castillo, Caturra, and Colombia variety coffees. The varieties ripen slightly differently, so Pedro is careful to harvest the Castillo when it is purple, the Caturra when it is bright red, and the Colombia when it is yellow. After harvesting, the coffee is depulped and fermented dry for 36 hours before being washed three times. It takes 15–20 days to dry in gable-roof driers.